Peter Steinbrueck Pike Place Market Collection
Preview up to 100 items from this collection below. Seattle’s Pike Place Market became a historic district in 1971, the result of grassroots organizers led by Victor Steinbrueck. This collection features blueprints, posters, articles and papers related to the market.
Illustrated Pike Place Market shopping bag
Illustrated, white paper shopping bag with illustrations in black depicting Pike Place Market scenes.
Identifier: spl_ps_025View this item
Pike Place Market News, April 1984
Includes an article discussing the role of the Historical Commission in allowing larger businesses into Pike Place Market and raises concerns over what this will mean for the small business owners already struggling to survive. The issue also has a map of Pike Place Market listing current retailers.
Identifier: spl_ps_049View this item
Friends of the Market position statement on Pike Plaza Revelopment Project #21
The statement outlines the issues that the Friends group has with the redevelopment plan including the displacement of farmers and proposed usage of buildings in the area. The Friends group emphasizes the need for improvements that will benefit the farmers and the introduction of more low income housing in the area.
Identifier: spl_ps_015View this item
Pike Place Market campaign buttons
Buttons with campaign slogans in support of or against the Friends of the Market Initiative to protect Pike Place Market from urban renewal plans.
Date: 1971View this item
Memorandum regarding a draft Market Ordinance, July 1983
Memorandum addressed to the Pike Market PDA Ordinance Advisory Group from Michael Hildt regarding a new draft of the ordinance on establishing operational policies for the Pike Place Market Preservation and Development Authority. Included is a copy of the draft ordinance and a copy of the agreement between the City of Seattle and the Pike Place Market Preservation and Development Authority.
Date: 1983-07-13View this item
Urban design plans for the Pike Plaza Project, 1968
Design plans created by the John Morse & Associates architecture firm outlining the proposed changes to the Pike Place Market area under the urban renewal plans.
Date: 1968-07View this item
'Let's Keep the Market' anniversary edition of The Weekly, 1981
Special issue of The Weekly celebrating the 10th anniversary of the Market Initiative. Features include 'The Battle of the Market, 1965-1971,' 'Mark Tobey's Market' and 'Schedule of Anniversary Events.'
Date: 1981-09-23View this item
Pike Place Market architectural plans by George Bartholick, 1975
Architectural plans created by George Bartholick, an architect who worked on the restoration of Pike Place Market between 1974 and 1980. The plans depict several levels of the market including the Arcade and Mezzanine.
Date: 1975-01View this item
Pike Place Market ink drawing or screenprint
Drawing or screenprint depicting Pike Place Market at the intersection of 1st Avenue and Pike Street.
Identifier: spl_ps_022View this item
The gates of Paradise
Frank Asakichi Kunishige was born in Japan on June 5, 1878. He came to the United States via San Francisco in 1895. After graduating from the Illinois College of Photography, he opened a small photography studio in San Francisco. Kunishige moved to Seattle in 1917. In the same year, he married Gin Kunishige and began working in the studio of Edward S. Curtis where he became acquainted with Ella McBride who he worked for in later years. Kunishige was well known for his use of Pictorialism, a popular painterly style of photography. He developed his photographs on "textura tissue," a paper of his own creation, which allowed him to produce almost dreamlike prints. His work was featured nationally and internationally in exhibitions and publications such as Photo-Era and Seattle's Town Crier. In 1924, Kunishige became one of the founding members of the Seattle Camera Club, a group of local photographers including Kyo Koike, Yukio Morinaga, Iwao Matsushita and Fred Y. Ogasawara who gathered to share techniques and ideas, as well as their deep love of the medium. Although the group was initially solely Japanese, they soon welcomed more members including Ella McBride, their first female member. When World War II struck and the country's Japanese internment policy was put in place, Kunishige and his wife were forced to leave Seattle for Idaho where they were interned at the Minidoka camp. After their release, Kunishige spent two years working at a photography studio in Twin Falls, Idaho but eventually returned to Seattle due to his poor health. Frank Kunishige passed away on April 9, 1960.
Identifier: spl_art_367924_08View this item