Service interruption in the Library's Online Catalog - Nov. 19
Between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. on Sunday, Nov. 19, our Bibliocommons catalog will be unavailable for up to two hours for system maintenance. During that time, please use our classic catalog.
Library Closed Thursday, Nov. 23
All locations of The Seattle Public Library and the book drops at the Central Library will be closed on Thanksgiving, Thursday, Nov. 23.
On Nov. 21, 2011, the City Council approved Mayor McGinn's proposed 2012 budget for the Library without substantive changes.
The $51.8 million operating budget is approximately $500,000 above the Library's 2012 Endorsed Budget due mostly to inflation and technical adjustments. The Library's 2012 Capital Improvement Program (CIP) Budget provides $820,000 for major maintenance/asset preservation and $207,000 for accessibility improvements related to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
The 2012 budget continues service cuts that have been implemented in recent years:
- A one-week system-wide closure from Aug. 27 through Sept. 2, 2012
- Branch libraries open 190 fewer hours a week compared to 2009
- 15 branches open five days per week, seven hours per day
- The $5 million budget for books and other items is 13 percent less than 2009 after inflation
- The $820,000 capital budget is less than half of what it was in 2009